Nationally (from the World Prayer Centre, Birmingham)
Raising the canopy of prayer and praise over our British Isles – our time to shine!
What is happening? Well, we are here, already into the second quarter of 2012 and now starting this historic 75 day prayer & worship ‘push’ across the British Isles – 14th May-27th July 2012 made possible by the unity and partnership of many different churches, organisations, networks and individuals – all covering different areas in prayer. This all undergirds the mission taking place connected to the Olympic Torch Relay and the Queens Diamond Jubilee when thousands of churches are planning to serve their communities!
Each day from 19th May-27th July God has put in place church bells being rung each day during this season; 7:14 events in each of the 70 towns & cities where the Olympic torch makes an overnight stop at 7.14pm (based on 2 Chron 7:14 in partnership with Kingdom Come 2012; A Praise Bus, declaring the praise of Jesus, travelling ahead of the Olympic Flame convoy by c 2 hours around Great Britain; A 70 day Prayer Relay which will take place around middle of each day in the same 70 towns and cities. In addition we know of hundreds of prayer events done by churches, prayer groups, home groups, prayer walks, prayer vigils, days of prayer, weeks of continuous prayer, mini prayer relays that will be happening county by county e.g. by Anglican Dioceses and deaneries, Methodist circuits and by Salvation Army corps. This continues through the Diamond Jubilee weekend at the Big Lunch with the grace, Children’s Prayers being gathered and over 3,000 beacons lit across the nations!
And why has our Father in heaven put all this in place? We believe it is because of all that is involved spiritually with the UK hosting an Olympic Games:
- The games are a pagan festival dedicated to Zeus: our Father wants Jesus to be worshipped as King.
- The games never allow mention of Jesus: our Father wants Jesus to be shown as Lord
- The root of the Torch Relay (dedicated to Zeus) is all about taking the spirit of Games around nation : our Father is inviting His church to praise, pray and release His blessings which all point to Jesus the hope of the world; Jesus the who brings peace; Jesus who brings eternal life.
- The games are all about power & financial gain for host nation and sponsors: our Father wants his church to humbly serve and share the gospel in word and deed everywhere.
- Our Father wants to use this season so when the world watches it sees the church in action Isaiah 60:1-3 – it’s our time to shine!
- The games is a wonderful opportunity for us to welcome 205 nations – so that all who come from the nations, national leaders, team members & their coaches, media and visitors – will experience the presence of Jesus and hear about the good news of Jesus. .. as well as reaching all those from these nations already living here!
Can you link in where you live/work and so cover all our nations in prayer?
In Dudley, not only are church leaders encouraging as many people as possible to gather in the Market Place between 4.00pm – 5.00pm on Sunday 27th May, but they are also starting a series of prayer walks in the borough throughout June.
The 40 mile plus walk will take place over four days. This is a great opportunity to pray for the towns and villages of the borough as the perimeter of the borough is walked.
Saturday June 2nd 10.00am Walk 1 – meet on car park at Lawnswood shops DY8 5NA terminating at the canal basin at the crossroads of Tipton Rd A4037 and Birmingham New Road A4123 – DY1 4SB.
Friday June 8th 3pm Walk 2 – Starting at DY1 4SB – meet on the car park of the shops on this corner. Finished at Hunnington sign (intersection of Illey Lane and Grange Hill Halesowen) B62 0JJ
Thursday 14th June 10.00am Walk 3 – Starting at B62 0JJ Hunnington sign and finishing at Ounty John Lane, Stourbridge. The nearest post code for this is DY8 2RG.
Sunday 24th June 3pm Walk 4 – Starting at DY8 2RG Ounty John Lane and finishing at Lawnswood shops DY8 5NA
In Sandwell, the 5th Sandwell Global Day of Prayer will meet at Holy Trinity, Burlington Road West Bromwich B70 6LF. Starting at 6pm, the evening will have an Olympic feel! “Run the race with perseverance” Hebrews 12:1. Praying for the local and global church and into mission. It will be a creative, encouraging, challenging and faith building night.
In Wolverhampton, this Sunday 27th May at 7.00pm the churches are coming together at the Church on Broad Street to pray as part of the Global Day of Prayer initiative. We look forward to seeing church leaders & congregations of all streams & denominations joining together to seek God for our city, the nation & the nations.